(By Anne-France White. Check out her blog and follow her on Twitter).

How to find work:

Work permit:

  • You will get your work permit at Direction Générale de Migration (DGM), Avenue des orchidées 4, Quartier des Volcans, ☎ 099 291 6957 ( Check out their website for necessary documents and procedures.
  • Journalists get their media accreditation from Auguy Kande Nkinda working at the Ministry of Information in Kinshasa. It costs $500 for six months. He is available at 081 651 1000,, The government information Minister Lambert Mende is available at 0854 324 219, 0815 733 533, 0810 106 365, 0991 341 990.

Work culture:

  • Most aid workers wear casual outfits. That said you should definitely bring a suit. Congolese at ceremonies and business meetings are very well-dressed.

Suggested reading:

  • Why do expats earn more than the rest of us? (Guardian)
  • Is humanitarian work a career for escapists? (Guardian)
  • NGOs need to think more about how they are perceived by local communities – but eliminating privileges like cars and security guards is not the answer (Guardian)
  • After starting out wanting to reduce poverty, aid workers often find themselves living a lifestyle unimaginable back home. Does this cause more harm than good? (Guardian)
  • Can only the childless and unattached manage humanitarian work? (Guardian)

2 responses to Work

  1. Virginie LABAT TELLIER says:

    Hi, I was the Head Manager of Virunga National Park. I am looking for a job by Goma or in Rwanda, because my contract ended last Friday.
    Is there a place where I can put my CVs ?


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s